Being part of Christian church is more than attending church meetings. The bible conveys that those that have decided to follow Christ have a responsibility to care for others that have done the same. We believe that this is best done by church members making a formal commitment to each other. Members commit to one another to pray for, serve, and love each other as they each learn and grow to follow Jesus Christ. Also, we believe the bible mandates certain responsibilities are carried by the leadership of the local church. The commitment is community wide; members to members, members to leaders, and leaders to members.
Bend City Church Membership
Thank you for considering becoming a covenant member of Bend City Church. Bend City Church is a local church expression of the universal Church. As such, we aim to fulfill Christ’s mission for the Church as He commanded in Matthew 28 to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” Jesus Christ left the community of believers in his care with a mission: His mission. We continue this work within our local missional community.
Purposes for Membership at Bend City Church
Membership helps to identify those that we will give an account for
Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they watch over your souls as one who must give an account. Local church leaders will give an account to God for the souls that are in their care. Membership helps to distinguish those who desire for Bend City Church to give an account for their souls from those who don’t (Heb 13:17)
Membership helps to identify those that are partnering with us
Phil 1:4-5 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. Members are committed to being on mission for Jesus Christ and identify themselves as partners with Bend City Church
Requirements for Membership at Bend City Church
1. Follower of Christ (Profession of faith in Christ)
A member must be a follower of Jesus Christ trusting in Him alone for their salvation. (Rom 10:9-10)
2. Obedient to Christ (Baptized as a believer)
A member is a disciple of the Lord and therefore must have a desire to live obediently to him. The Lord commanded that his disciples be baptized and members will have been baptized or will be soon. (Matt 28:19-20)
3. Agree with the Bend City Church statement of faith
A member must agree with the summary of Biblical teaching found in our Statement of Faith. To read our Statement of Faith (click here).
4. Care for one another (Committed to large and small group)
A member must show a commitment to the local body of believers known as Bend City Church by caring for the needs of the other members of the body and by regularly meeting together with the body. (Heb 10:24-25)
5. Care for the mission (Giving in partnership with Bend City Church)
A member must care for Christ’s mission and identify themselves as partners with Bend City Church. Members use their time, talents, and resources in partnership with Bend City Church to help fulfill what God is calling us to do.
In order to become a member a person must:
1. Meet the requirements for membership
2. Express a desire to become a member to a Bend City elder
3. Verbally covenant with the other members of Bend City Church
Bend City Church Membership Covenant
Based on the Mars’ Hill Church Covenant
Being a member of Bend City Church is really about being part of a family. All members are disciples of Jesus, unified by their identity in Christ. This unity is expressed in the way they collaborate in loving God, loving fellow Christians, and loving non-Christians. Members who enter into a covenant with their local church are called to a higher degree of responsibility and service. At the same time, the elders and deacons are covenanted to assist members first and foremost, to love and lead, provide counsel and aid, and pray for, teach, and guide them.
“Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace…” -1 Peter 4: 8-10
What is a covenant?
A covenant is a promise by which we obligate ourselves to one another in such a way that the obligation of one party is not dependent on the faithfulness of the other (Ezek. 20:44; 36:22; Ps. 76:11; Hos. 2:19-20; 3:1; 2 Tim. 2:13). The Bend City Church covenant includes a statement of faith, the obligations of Bend City Church to its members, and the obligations of members to Bend City Church. Though the covenant does define the relationship between members and the church, it is first and foremost a promise made to God as a commitment to his glory and his bride, the church (Eph. 5:25).
Statement of faith
• I am a Christian saved from the eternal wrath of God by faith in Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, through his death and resurrection, by which I am assured of eternal life (John 3:16-18; Rom. 3:23-26).
• I believe Jesus Christ is exactly who he claimed to be (Isa. 53:6; Matt. 26:64; Mark 14:62; Luke 22:70; John 4:25-26; 6:29; 8:58; 11:25-27; 14:6-7; 15:5).
• I have repented of my sins and have been made a new creation in Christ (1 John 1:9; 2 Cor. 5:17).
• In obedience to Scripture, I have been baptized (or will be soon) to personally identify with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, and to publicly demonstrate my commitment as a disciple of Jesus (Col. 2:12; 1 Peter 3:21).
Obligation of Bend City Church to its members
• We covenant that your elders and deacons will meet the criteria assigned to them in the Scriptures (1 Tim. 3:1-13; 5:17-22; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
• We covenant to seek God’s will for our church community to the best of our ability as we study the Scriptures and follow the Spirit (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-5).
• We covenant to care for you and seek your growth as a disciple of Christ, in part by equipping you for service (Eph. 4:11-13) and praying for you regularly, particularly when you are sick (James 5:14).
• We covenant to provide teaching and counsel from the whole of Scripture (Acts 20:27-28; Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 5:17-18).
• We covenant to be on guard against false teachers (Acts 20:28-31).
• We covenant to exercise church discipline when necessary (Matt. 18:15-20; 1 Cor. 5; Gal. 6:1).
• We covenant to set an example and join you in fulfilling the duties of church members (1 Cor. 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 1 Tim. 4:12).
My Obligation to Bend City Church as a member
• I covenant to submit to the authority of Scripture as the final arbiter on all issues (Ps. 119; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
• I will maintain a close relationship with the Lord Jesus through regular Bible reading, prayer, fellowship, and practice of spiritual disciplines. My relationship will be evident through my participation in weekly worship services, communion, Bend City community, service, and a life that glorifies Jesus (Ps. 105:1-2; Ps. 119:97; Acts 2:42-47; Heb. 10:23-25; 2 Peter 1:3).
• I will steward the resources God has given me, including my time, talents, and treasure (Prov. 3:9-10; Rom. 12:1-2; Gal. 5:22-26; Eph. 4:1-16; 5:15-18). This includes regular financial giving, service, and participation in community that is sacrificial, cheerful, and voluntary (Rom. 12:1-8; 2 Cor. 8-9; 12:7-31; 1 Peter 4:10-11).
• I will not function in leadership or as a member in another church family (Heb. 13:17).
• I covenant to submit to discipline by God through his Holy Spirit, to follow biblical procedures for church discipline in my relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ, to submit to righteous discipline when approached biblically by brothers and sisters in Christ, and to submit to discipline by church leadership if the need should ever arise (Ps. 141:5; Matt. 18:15-17; 1 Cor. 5:1-5; 2 Cor. 2:5-8; Gal. 6:1-5 8; 1 Tim. 5:20; 2 Tim. 2:25; Titus 1:9; 3:10-11; Heb. 12:5-11; Rev. 2:5-7, 14-25).
• I agree, by God’s grace, to walk in holiness as an act of worship to Jesus Christ, who has saved me from my sin that I could live a new life (2 Cor. 5:17); I will practice complete chastity before marriage and complete fidelity in heterosexual marriage by abstaining from practices such as cohabitation, pornography, and fornication (Job 31:1; Prov. 5; Rom. 13:12-14; 1 Cor. 6:9-7:16; Heb. 13:4); I will refrain from illegal drug use, drunkenness, and other sinful behavior as the Bible, my pastors, and my conscience dictate (1 Cor. 8:7; Gal. 5:19-21). Should I sin in such a manner, I agree to confess my sins to Christian brothers or sisters and seek help to put my sin to death (Rom. 8:13; Col. 3:5; 1 John 1:6-10).
My commitment to the mission of Bend City Church
The mission of Bend City Church is to make disciples that live for the glory of God enjoying Him completely
I have read the mission statement of Bend City Church and commit to participate in this mission as a diligent, faithful disciple of Jesus, that my identity would be in him, my worship would be for him, my fellowship would be through him, and my interaction with the culture would be for his glory.
I understand that this covenant obligates me to the members of Bend City and is an acknowledgment of my submission to the elders of the church. I accept the responsibility to notify Bend City leadership if at any time I can no longer commit to this covenant, or if I have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding Bend City Church.